- Age. Everyone’s teeth yellow with age, that is the reason that we associate white teeth with youth. You can’t turn back time, but professional teeth whitening can be the next best thing.
- Trauma. Accidents can discolour your teeth directly, through damage, or indirectly, as a result of the dental work that repairs trauma.
- Medicine. Some medications such as antihistamines, antipsychotics and blood pressure medications can stain teeth as a side effect. Some antibiotics taken in childhood or pregnancy can discolour teeth. You can ask your doctor if there are medically viable alternatives. If not, the side effect can be corrected by your dentist.
- Trauma to a tooth can cause discolouration.
- Dental materials like silver fillings, silver posts and some old dental cements can cause darkening of the teeth over time.
Consider taking these precautions to minimize discolouration before or after teeth whitening.
- Avoid certain foods. Acidic foods like lemons can erode enamel, resulting in darker teeth. Coffee, red wine, and other dark drinks can also stain teeth.
- Use an environmentally-friendly straw. Like acidic foods, carbonated drinks can damage enamel. If you choose to drink sugary soft drinks, use a reusable straw to bypass your teeth and minimize the drink’s impact.
- Quit smoking. Yellowed teeth are a well-known sign of tobacco use. Whiter teeth are one bonus among the many health benefits of not smoking.
- Brush technique. Over brushing can erode the enamel protecting your teeth. Consult with your dentist on proper brushing technique.
For more information, contact us at our Mississauga office, where we will be happy to talk about restoring your smile and keeping it bright.
Trust an Expert’s Touch
Your dentist ensures that your teeth whitening treatments deliver consistent results safely and in accordance with your dental history. Who better to adapt treatment for your sensitive teeth than the dentist who identified your tooth sensitivity? With professional teeth whitening you can be sure that your treatment is selected with an eye on your overall oral health.
Also, colour may not be the only concern with your teeth. Your dentist can advise you on other cosmetic treatments, like filling gaps, repairing chips, and correcting alignment issues.
Some options will also combine the strength of professional whitening with the convenience of over the counter products. We can advise patients on using teeth whitening products like the GO system, which allows you to follow up on the whitening procedure at home.
With our in office treatments, you will have noticeable results by the time you leave the building. Between whiter teeth and our courteous, friendly staff, you won’t be able to help smiling!